Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Subjects.

I had actually three ideas for my documentary. One idea as I previously mentioned was working with the band. They were recording and it would have been interesting in capturing that, but their final show was actually at the same day as the exhibition for the documentaries, so that wouldn't have worked. Also, there wasn't really a new angle to go on with them. They're a band and they're great people, but I don't know what I would hope to capture, really. Finally, as someone who is well versed in audio engineering, I don't think I could sit by without intervening, which might have been good for audio reasons, but not really documentary reasons.

The other group I was interested in documenting is an anarchist punk sewing group. They are the other idea I had before, but didn't mention. They were an interesting group, but honestly I didn't know them that well, as I'd only met them a few time, and I didn't feel comfortable asking them if they wanted to be a part of my documentary. More than that is they were jut generally hard to get a hold of. I'm sure I could have made a better documentary with them if I knew them better and I was better with Japanese.

The idea I have chosen is about the owner of a restaurant in Koenji. I randomly found this Korean place in Koenji and the owner was really nice and friendly, making sure to talk to everyone who walks in. And in Koenji, some strange people walk in. Her relationship with the neighborhood, especially the young people of Koenji makes her an interesting subject. She is somewhere around 70 and is pretty much the unofficial mother of some of the local outcasts.

My goal is to create a documentary based on this woman and her interaction to the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment